Monday, September 3, 2012

Free Day and Jerusalem Overlook Field Trip


Yesterday (Sunday) was our free day, which basically means it’s a Saturday and we can do whatever we feel like. I went with a group of people into the Old City in the morning before it got too hot. We had fun taking random pictures on stairs other cool things.


One of my favorite views is from the top of the Austrian Hospice.


We also went to the Western Wall again. I learned a lot more about it this time! It’s the west wall of the Temple Mount where the Dome of the Rock is (I can’t wait to go there!). The Temple Mount is where it is believed that Abraham almost offered Isaac as a sacrifice according the commandment of the Lord and the location of the First and Second Temples (Solomon’s and Herod’s temples).  According the my textbook, “since the exact location of the original temple’s Holy of Holies is unknown, most modern Jews will not go on the Temple Mount, fearing the possible violate sacred space.” So the Western Wall is the closest they can safely go to where the temple originally stood. It’s a really cool experience to write a prayer and put it in the cracks of the wall.



There were hundreds of soldiers gathered in the plaza and we never figured out why…I hope they weren’t expecting some kind of demonstration.


We visited the Church of the Holy Sepulchre again and I learned so much more about it. I know it seems like I’m visiting the same sights again, but now I’m actually learning the history behind the sites and it’s so interesting!


Today on our Jerusalem Overlook field trip to 6 different places:
1. The Seven Arches Hotel Overlook
2.Augusta Victoria Tower (which includes the Lutheran Church of the Ascension)
3.Nabi Samwil
4. Bethlehem Overlook
5. Tayelet
6. Hebrew University

It was super hot outside but I loved it! We got to see Jerusalem from so many different angles that I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of it. My favorite part was the Bethlehem overlook. We sang “Far, Far Away on Judea’s Plain” and “Angels We Have Heard on High” as we looked over the city. After Brother Schade told us more about the area, we had free time to write in our journals and ponder. It struck me that the life of the most powerful being who ever walked the Earth began just a few miles in front of where I was sitting. I know that He was born there in a humble manger. I am so grateful for this chance I have to learn more about His life! I know that the more I learn about Him, the closer I become with Him.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You're really there!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are already bearing a strong testimony of our Savior Mikele!! Imagine how it'll be after the months you live there!!! Wonderful post!! Thanks again for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a good consistent blogger I'm so impressed with you! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete