Sunday, September 23, 2012

TURKEY--Tuesday 9/18


Does life get any better than this? I submit to you that it does not. Turkey is the bomb! We had a very early start but it was worth it because of the amazing sites that we visited.

Gallipoli Battlefield Memorial was one of my favorite sites of the whole trip. It is like USA’s Pearl Harbor for the Australians and New Zealanders. This was a site of one of the most famous battles of World War I and it’s a very solemn yet peaceful place. The Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) were on the British side (the Allies) and tried a land and sea invasion of Turkey but the Turkish forces were on higher ground and killed thousands of ANZACs with their machine guns. The battle here lasted for many months and resulted in about 250,000 a million deaths on each side. We took lots of pictures here but were very respectful to those who died on this spot. At the graveyard and memorial spot Brother Schade talked to us and the words that he said touched me deeply. I am so grateful for those who have fought, fight, and will fight for freedom. I’ll never forget the feelings and impressions I had while sitting there, looking over the ocean and listening to Brother Schade’s words.



Cute Will stole my camera 
I loved this inscription from Ataturk (the Turkish President during WWI) to the Americans who lost loved ones in this battle: “Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well. 



"Their name liveth for evermore"
Me and Calahan
Troy was awesome! We took lots of pictures and had an encounter with a very large stray dog. That’s one thing that I’ve noticed about Turkey—there are so many strays dogs and cats! As an animal lover myself, it’s very sad. We can’t pet or touch them because they might have fleas :( It makes me miss my dog Theo!



Brother Schade's class
Me and Abi
The awesome BYUJC staff
 Ida Kale Beach Resort was so fun! It was quite a step up from our last hotel. We were right on the beach of the Aegean Sea and it’s so beautiful! We swam in the sea and I found a huge sea snail! There was a dance party on the beach but I was so tired that I skipped it and went to bed. I can never seem to get enough sleep, even with the 4 hour-long bus rides!

Walking on water in the Aegean Sea
Our cute sea snail friend
Pool party!

1 comment:

  1. Mikele, Thanks for sharing the quote to the mothers who had lost sons in the battle. I was so touched. That must have brought some small comfort to those families to know their sons were loved and respected for their sacrifice.

    The pictures are amazing. I am loving living vicariously through your posts!

    ReplyDelete