Thursday, December 6, 2012

Mediterranean Field Trip (11/29)

Our first stop was Mount Carmel where Elijah faced the priests of Baal. Our awesome re-enactment committee put together a skit that had a "Princess Bride" twist. Mary Bennion and Michael Stallings surprised us all by kissing at the end! We had all suspected a little Galilee magic between them but it was quite a shocker for them to announce it to our whole class this way! Brother Judd said that was the best Mt. Carmel skit he's ever seen.

My favorite part of the day was the Haifa Templer Cemetary where we learned about a few different men who have played a part in missionary work in the Middle East. Adolf Haag, from Payson, Utah, was a 27-year-old who accepted his mission call in 1892 and left behind his wife and children to serve the Lord. He had to work while he preached so he could support himself. Within a month of arriving in Haifa, he contracted typhus fever and died shortly thereafter. The broken pillar symbolizes a life cut short, and his definitely was. Another incredible example is John Clark (1894) whose number one dream was to go to BYU and obtain an education. While studying at BYU he received a mission call to Haifa and within one year of serving there, he contracted smallpox and died before is 24th birthday. He gave up his dream because he knew that the will of the Lord was more important than his desires. We sang "I'll go where you want me to go" and I got the chills as I thought about going to Chile where I have been called. I'm grateful for the incredible examples of these men!

Cemeteries are great places for pondering. While I was walking around I learned that death often comes in an unseen moment. I loved some of the epitaphs:
"Gone but not forgotten"
"Perfect peace"
"Their name liveth forevermore"
"In the hour of my death call me and big me come to thee"
"A good soldier of Jesus Christ"


Life truly has moments hard to describe, and this was one of them. I am grateful for the opportunity that I have to live on this earth. "Live with a smile and make it worthwhile" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment