Sunday, October 7, 2012

Called to Serve

I'm going on a mission.

As soon as President Monson announced the change of the minimum age for women who want to serve missions, these words immediately ran through my head.  I can't describe the joy that I felt when he said that--I burst into tears and had to leave the forum where General Conference was being broadcasted. On my way to the bathroom I received a tender mercy as I saw my returned missionary roommate, Rosie, running after me to give me a hug. She knew exactly what the announcement meant for me and my situation. Another tender mercy was seeing my friend Erin Wankier in the bathroom, obviously experiencing the exact same emotions!

Before conference I had been thinking about what I was going to do this summer and none of the options I was considering felt right. But now the Lord has given me this wonderful opportunity and I'm going to take it! I know that this is the next step in my life. It was amazing to be in Jerusalem when they made the announcement. I can't wait to serve the Lord. And is there a better place to prepare to share the message of our Savior than the holy city where He actually ministered? I think not.

I'm going to start working on my papers now so I can hopefully leave right after winter semester!!

I'm going on a mission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 comments:

  1. You were one of the first girls I thought of when I heard the news!! I knew you'd be on your way!! So exciting!!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunt Cindy! I can't wait to go :) I know that it's just what I need in my life right now! Thanks for all your support. Love you and can't wait for the wedding in December!

      Delete
  2. You were one of the first girls I thought of when I heard the news!! I knew you'd be on your way!! So exciting!!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moosie! I'm so stoked for you! You are going to be AMAZING :)
    I love reading about your adventures and am so jealous of the stuff you're getting to do. No fair. ;)
    So I have a story for you: my lovely roommate Kellie broke the news that she's going to jet off to missionary land ASAP. The first thought I had was "Dang, I'm going to miss her!" and the second was, "I think Moose needs to move in next semester." SO. Here I am letting you know that your lifelong dreams of living with me can come true! If you're interested let me know, if not, then no hard feelings. :)
    I hope everything is going well! I love you bunches!
    Love,
    Zu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. ZUUUUUZUUUUUU!! Thanks, I am stoked about it!! And about housing: DANG!! If I had known earlier I would've totally taken you up on that. I already told a girl here that I'd room with her...but you better believe that I will be dropping by Liberty Square until you get sick of me...which better be never! I love you so much!!! I hope you're living it up in Provo!

      Delete
    3. Oh no! If you don't already have a place to live, we actually have two girls leaving next semester who need someone to take their places :) If not, I hope I really do get to see you all the time! My friend Rob Donakey was skyping with his sisters in Jerusalem this weekend and I got all weirdly jealous about it. Haha. I miss your beautiful face!

      Delete
  4. Hey Mikele,
    I love your decision! And guess what - I read about you in Meridian Magazine! Maurine Proctor wrote about the announcement and the reaction at the Jerusalem Center when it happened! You'll have to check it out.
    Love you and hope you're having a marvelous time. I'm certain that you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunt Pam! That article is awesome. I was one of the girls who ran to the bathroom crying :) I can't wait! Thanks for all of your support. I love you!

      Delete
  5. Moose!
    I am so happy for you! You are going to be the best missionary ever! I tried e-mailing you, but it didn't work. Can you still e-mail while you're in Jerusalem? If not, I will tell you everything here:) I'm so glad you're having such a great time. I miss you so much! Love you!
    Love,
    Gus:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gus!! Yeah I can still email. Its mikele.stephenson@gmail.com. We should be emailing pen pals!! Email me when you can so we can chat!! Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

      Delete