Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Dome of the Rock

Last week I went to the Dome of the Rock for the first time and let me just say...it's BEAUTIFUL. I am in love with the blue times and gold dome! It was such an adventure--you have to pass through security, climb a sketchy wooden bridge, walk past dozens of Israeli soldiers, but then you walk onto the mount and it's so peaceful! We were lucky that it wasn't super crowded when we went. 


The Dome of the Rock was built in 710 AD by the Muslims. This site is sacred for the Jews and the Muslims and thus is the root of much hostility in the area. Last week during a major Jewish holiday, a few radical Jews attempted to plant the cornerstone of the third temple on the mount on Friday when the Muslims have the mandatory prayer on the mount...that didn't turn out so well for them (we could see the tear gas and rubber bullets from the Jerusalem Center balcony). But we are safe, don't worry!


I'm so glad that I finally made it to the Dome of the Rock and I can't wait to go there again as soon as I can! It's so magnificent!

No comments:

Post a Comment