Sunday, November 18, 2012

Jewish Quarter Field Trip

Last Tuesday we had a field trip of the Jewish Quarter in the Old City. We went to the Burnt House and the Wohl Museum that have remnants of mansions of priestly families from the 1st century AD. The Burnt House shows evidence of the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70: discovered there were a thick layer of ash and an iron spear near the bones of an arm and hand of a young woman.





My favorite part was the Davidson Archeological Park that is just south of the Temple Mount. We had a great devotional by Brother Judd while we were sitting on the south steps of the Mount by the Double Gates. It is almost certain that Christ walked on those very steps as he exited the temple complex (the Triple Gates were the entrance, the Double Gates were the exit). Brother Judd told us that Neil Armstrong also came here (many years ago of course) and said, “It means more for me to stand here than on the moon.” How cool is that? I am so blessed that I get to literally walk where Jesus walked.

Me and Erin under the Double Gate
 I stayed out in the city after our field trip and had the time of my life trying new food and walking on the rooftops of Jewish houses! I tried raw coconut, shawarma, baklava, pomegranate juice and candy and I loved all of it!

Baklava stuff with cheese in it...strangely delicious.

Kayla, me, and Michael 
Fresh pomegranate juice!
Aliseea and me
Walking on the rooftops with the Church of the Redeemer in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment